South African coal mines set for another national strike

Tens of thousands of South Africa-based coal miners are expected to down tools next month in national protest against the country’s electricity shortage.

Cosatu, the union umbrella body, has called the strike for July 30 in protest because it fears the power shortages may force companies to cut back on jobs.

“Cosatu acknowledges that the current power-cuts and power shortages are a national crisis and affect all South Africans. We will work actively and constructively to help manage the power-shortage and to find a lasting solution,” it said in a statement Lesiba Seshoka, the national spokesman for the National Union of Mineworkers, said: “We are a major affiliate of Cosatu and will be going along with the action.”

Cosatu plans to start with provincial action on July 2, building up to a national stay away on July 30.

The Chamber of Mines has said there is no threat to jobs through the power shortage, but Gold Fields did warn earlier this year that thousands of jobs were at risk if the situation did not improve.
Blog Advertising

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: